Subscribe to Dr. Macro's XML Rants

NOTE TO TOOL OWNERS: In this blog I will occasionally make statements about products that you will take exception to. My intent is to always be factual and accurate. If I have made a statement that you consider to be incorrect or innaccurate, please bring it to my attention and, once I have verified my error, I will post the appropriate correction.

And before you get too exercised, please read the post, date 9 Feb 2006, titled "All Tools Suck".

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

XCMTDMW: Has it Really Been 11 Years?

A slight aside: I was poking around on the internal Innodata Isogen sales and marketing support portal and stumbled on an archive of all the old papers that various ISOGENers have written over the years, including some of mine. One I stumbled on was one I wrote and presented in 1995 titled "SGML Document Management". You can find an HTML version of it here: http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/kimber-sgmldocm.html (thanks Robin).

Even though my understanding and ideas have refined and evolved over the years, it's remarkably consistent with what I've been saying in this thread. I would now replace the focus on entities with a focus on link-based re-use but the overall architecture is very much the same.

Another interesting historical footnote is the paper I wrote with Dr. Steve Newcomb and Peter Newcomb on "Referent Tracking Documents": http://www.coolheads.com/SRNPUBS/ref-track-docs-paper.pdf.

This paper describes a technique for using simple storage object versioning and straightforward link markup to represent links in a managable way. The key to this was that it provided, in the simplest possible way, a standards-based approach to capturing and managing complex element-to-element linking information. Of course we never expected that you would literally implement a system using huge collections of little documents but you could if you wanted to and it would work. It would just be really slow (or maybe not so slow--parsing XML is pretty fast and the files are small). At a minimum it provided a standards-based interchange representation for an arbitrarily complex link index. I've never actually tried to implement a system that used this approach literally, although the Bonnell and XIRUSS systems both reflect the ideas, just not expressed as literal XML structures (but they could be using exactly these techniques).

In any case, those ideas are now reflected more abstractly in the SnapCM model but the basic concept is the same, in particular the approach of using a reference to a resource (in the SnapCM sense) plus a resolution policy to address a specific version or versions. That paper was given in 1999.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home