Subscribe to Dr. Macro's XML Rants

NOTE TO TOOL OWNERS: In this blog I will occasionally make statements about products that you will take exception to. My intent is to always be factual and accurate. If I have made a statement that you consider to be incorrect or innaccurate, please bring it to my attention and, once I have verified my error, I will post the appropriate correction.

And before you get too exercised, please read the post, date 9 Feb 2006, titled "All Tools Suck".

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Bob DuCharme is Linked In

I've just discovered Bob DuCharme's blog. Bob is another SGML and XML person I've known for as long as I can remember. He and I have similar professional backgrounds and employment history although he has focused more on search and retrieval than on technical documentation and publishing. He definitely knows his stuff and has opinions worth listening to. He has a recent post on LinkedIn which I thought was pretty interesting (and that I got to by following a reference from Bill Trippe's blog, which as also interesting).

I'm in LinkedIn (as Eliot Kimber), mostly because it seemed harmless enough and most of the people I work with or recently worked with at Innodata Isogen are in and why not maintain those connections? But I haven't really done anything with it.

So far in my career I've never had to work particularly hard to find a job--I sent out four resumes as a senior in college and one of them got me hired at IBM. I worked there for 10 years. When I realized it was time to move on, the first guy I asked about a new job said "sure" and I was suddenly working for a start up (Passage Systems. When that startup started going castors to the ceiling, I had already met Carla Corkern, one of the founders of ISOGEN, and was negotiating salarly (and that was nearly 10 years ago now--I joined ISOGEN in November of 1996). And that's my complete post-college work history (before that I had a series of food-service jobs and one two-week stint as a mover).

So should I ever decide I have to get a new job for some reason, I'm not sure I know how to go about it, especially considering that I don't have quite the same personal and family flexibility I did then nor do I have the same visibility in industry, having been less active at conferences and on public fora then I was at that time. And I haven't published a book either (not that I didn't try, but that's another story). Now I have outrageous salary requirements, I don't want to travel too much (being a new dad), I'm not moving from Austin (of course I wasn't then either, so that's not different, but I was willing to commute to San Jose or Dallas from Austin--not so much now), and so on. Much harder to find a job that will fit under those circumstances.

So maybe this LinkedIn thing isn't such a bad idea....

Anyway, Dr. Macro says check out Bob's blog, read his books, and so on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home